For more resources on mental and emotional assistance:
The Veteran’s Crisis Hotline – Connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs’ responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text: 800.237.8255 Press “1”
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: http://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/
- US Department of Veterans Affair – National Center for PTSD – PTSD Coach App http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/materials/apps/PTSDCoach.asp
- Veterans Crisis Line: http://www.veteranscrisisline.net/GetHelp/ResourceLocator.aspx
- Make the Connection: http://maketheconnection.net/
- Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) http://iava.org/
- National Alliance on Mental Illness: http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?
- Wounded Hero Assistance Charities
- City of Houston Office of Veterans Affairs: http://www.houstontx.gov/vetaffairs/
- Texas Veteran’s App (available through the Apple App Store) a resource with several hotline numbers, one for Female Vets specifically. It includes an option to “talk to a peer right now.”
- Camp Hope – A non-profit organization focused on PTSD with a website full of resources, including several hotline numbers:http://ptsdusa.org/
- Mental Health America of Greater Houston: http://www.mhahouston.org/veterans/
- Texas Council of Community Centers: http://www.txcouncil.com/veterans_mental_health.aspx
- Rover Unit: http://www.houston.va.gov/ROVER.asp